Here is a project 11 years in the making. Truthfully, it’s probably a 5-6 year project, but I’ve learned a lot along the way, and hopefully my timelines shorten as I go on.
2002, received, and planted in the ground:
Then in 2003, I did some root work and planted it in a shallow flat, and wired up a new leader. I have learned that this is not the best way to develop new trunk sections:
2004-2005 in a wood box. It regained some strength after root work, and started growing well:
Here it is in 2008, back in the ground:
In 2010, the top half died back, so it was reduced to a stump:
Fast-forward a few years of in-ground growing time…
After cleaning up the pruning scars, adding fresh cuts to the callus, and scraping off the rough bark around the collars: