Bonsai Autopsy, or how to make a $2000 coaster
I bought a 5-needle pine back in ’99 and it died almost immediately; along with several others from that batch of imports. 10 years later, I decided to give it another try. This time, an import that had been in the states for 5-6 years and seemed to be healthy. It’s dead now too, and I won’t be trying another 5-needle pine. But I learned a few things along the way, and I’ll share them here to help spare someone else the cost of my $2500 lessons.
1. Grow what grows in your area. I can’t stress this enough, and I keep teaching myself this the hard way.
2. Always inspect the roots when making a purchase. If you ask and the request is denied, do not buy. I was in this boat and took a gamble without being permitted to see the roots. I wish I would have just moved on.
3. When you find bad soil in the pot, replacing it should become the highest priority in the training plan.
4. If you suspect root-rot, get very curious very quickly.
5. Don’t allow a root ball to freeze solid while the foliage is exposed to direct sunlight. Trees should be in the shade when frozen, or at least allowed to fluctuate as a whole.
So here is a progression that has a happy ending…if you scroll from bottom to top:
As purchased (without inspecting roots) in December ’10:
Looking great after Peter Warren and I (mostly him) wired it in October ’11:
Throughout the warm winter, it stopped taking water. I didn’t get curious enough to pop it out of the pot and see what was happening, instead, I aerated it and added some akadama and lava. Slowly over 2012, branch after branch browned out and died until this was left:
So I finally got curious and pulled the tree out of the pot for a full repot in March ’13. UGH. Not much left.
Combed out, hosed off, and pruned back to remove all the mushiness…and nearly all of the soil. I intended to treat it about like a newly-collected tree; rocky soil, not much extra space, and misted regularly.
So, it’s not often we get a chance to autopsy a tree like this. The inspection convinced me that root rot was the issue. Clearly, the nursery’s soil is incompatible with my watering and siting. Noted.
More interesting was seeing the cross-section at the graft:
And, the end result: a $2k coaster. I might preserve it just to ensure I don’t get tempted to try another 5NP in 10 years.
So, by my best count, I counted 47 visible rings. I’d add 3-5 on each end that I couldn’t distinguish because they’re so close together. Peter estimated it to be 50-70 years. Impressive, though I’d rather not have found out this way! Next week, we’ll rejoin the living with some trident maple work.