My Ponderosa

Here is one I collected in 2010. It has been allowed to grow freely, although a bit neglected in a shady corner for the last couple years.

20131103-152221.jpg

The trunk has great bark, and some good movement, although the photos flatten the movement somewhat. The main goal was to compact the design; highlighting the existing movement, just taking up less space.

We started by identifying the areas we could compress, and identifying the areas that may split. Although pondy is very flexible, it will split at the crotches of branches. Raffia, along with properly placed hands and wire ensures branches can be moved nearly anywhere they need to be placed.

After raffia, #4 copper wire was applied, more to serve as tie-off points for guy-wires than to make and hold the bends.

20131103-152802.jpg
The bending begins to pull the foliage closer to the trunk, using several guy-wires to ensure the bending doesn’t happen on one plane only:

20131103-152829.jpg
The primary branch is in place, next we move on to the next branch up; here, Ron applying another course of raffia:

20131103-153241.jpg
The bending continues, placing foliage so each tip is pointing up, and each shoot has access to sunlight. Since the tree didn’t have much foliage to begin with, we tried to use as much as we could. In the end, we removed about 25% of the foliage:

20131103-153825.jpg
In all, the tree was reduced by about half, in length, and by more than half in height. Not bad at all!

20131103-193750.jpg

Advertisements

One thought on “My Ponderosa

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s