This pine is one I’ve been working on for a few years now. For the decent trunk, movement, and good lower branches, the upper third needs a lot of work; particularly at the upper stovepipe-straight section of trunk. I tried a simple cleft graft in Feburary, but it didn’t take. Approach grafts are reliable and can be done at most any time. In June, I gave it a go:
In early January, I checked the progress, and it was positive. So I scraped the bark to expose the cambium, remove some of the crusty pitch, re-wrapped with Parafilm and secured it again with a wire. I’ll let it continue to knit this year and begin separating it in the fall.