Longtime followers of the blog may remember the post from May 2013, showing our potting method with some newly-collected rmj…which was basically stuffing them B&B into wooden boxes, and packing aggregate around the burlap. Here is the post:
Nearly 2 years later, I felt like Geraldo opening Al Capone’s vault…only I found something…lots of something…ROOTS! The plan actually worked. You know the saying about collected trees: the first year they sleep, second year they creep, and the third year they leap. Here it is after the second year. I expect 2015 to be a “leap” year!
Encouraged by the roots of the small one, I decided to repot the one with the best foliage. The roots were even better in this one, and it was in fact, growing over a flat rock, which I found as I was combing out the old soil:
In conclusion, the method was successful. I believe 13 of 14 rmj collected this way survived. Next time, I’ll find something other than duct tape to bind the burlap; something that also breaks down quickly. I think 2 years was long enough to wait, and it will be interesting to repot another one next spring to determine if 3 years is too long, and requires significant root pruning, or if the extra year only contributes to strengthening the tree.