Shimpaku Styling 4

Trouble!
This shot from 12/14 shows a happy, full and healthy tree.

IMG_5169
In March 2015, I made a decision to rotate everything, by swapping the pines (which faced East in front of the fence) and the junipers (which faced West out in the open). The fence created a very nice, calm environment in which spider mites flourished, quickly, and out of my sight. I was actually planning to repot the tree, and when I moved it, and got a look at the back, here was what I saw:

IMG_5157
More trouble! I looked at the amount of Malathion to add to a 1-gallon sprayer, dumped that amount into my 1.5 quart sprayer (oops) and began to nuke the critters…along with 75% of the already-compromised foliage.

IMG_5156

IMG_5151
So, when I realized the error, and the damage was done, it was time to prune back to what was left. Tough day.

IMG_5146

IMG_5149
Fortunately, it lived. By August, it was sending out some runners. So while I lost a year, I didn’t lose the tree.

IMG_5170
Since I killed off the left half of the tree over the last few years, and greatly reduced the foliage (by pruning…and poisoning), I knew the roots would be a similar story, and so in March 2016, it was time to repot…for the first time since I received it in 2011.

IMG_4783

IMG_4785
Most important was to get under the left half of the tree and get rid of the roots that were no longer attached to the live upper area, since they were dead or dying, and I didn’t want to have that going on in the pot:

IMG_4788

IMG_4789

IMG_4787

IMG_4790

Next repotting, I’ll replace the rest of the soil with a coarser, inorganic mix. For now, this is enough. I do want the tree to keep recovering, and any more would be pushing the limit, I’m afraid.

IMG_4794

I also shifted the planting angle slightly to the right, making the left Jin slightly more upright. Next time, I will continue to orient that Jin more upright until it’s more than 45 degrees from parallel to the soil

IMG_4793

Along with the repot, I cleaned out sucker growth in the crotches of branches, worked the Jin and Shari with hand tools and a wire brush, unwired what Bjorn and I applied two years ago, and repositioned the primary branches to get them prepared for the final design.

IMG_5106
Not much to look at yet, but with two good growing seasons, it could be ready for a detail wiring job.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Shimpaku Styling 4

  1. So sorry about the damage but, just like Mach5’s bonsai disaster with his maple, I’m sure this will emerge as good as if not better than before. Every April I spray all my trees with a systemic insecticide and then every 2 months during the growing season just to be on the safe side. I’ll look forward to seeing shimpaku II in a few seasons šŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s