A one-year update on this thread.
This maple is getting close to “show-ready” again. It went to the 2012 US National Bonsai Exhibition, and since that time, I have been working to improve the base, correct some structural flaws, and heal a couple pruning scars left by correcting said structural flaws. Here is a shot in late November just before leaf-fall.
And here it is leafless a few days later:
Several branches are thickening and need to be replaced with finer shoots. Where would you prune the branch below:
Below is the after shot. The goal is to prune back to a bifurcated pair of about the same size.
One area of very slow progress has been this thread graft which has languished for both of the last two growing seasons it has been knitting. This may be due to the fact that the scion split at the entrance hole and was attached by no more than a toothpick’s width. Fortunately it managed to live, but unfortunately it has been very slow.
In the photo below, notice how the scion was positioned with a bud very close to the exit hole? That was quite deliberate and may provide something to prune back to in the future.
It’s about 18″ long now, and firmly enough attached that I decided to wire some movement into it. Maybe by next year, it will be ready to separate. Part of the wiring was to angle the tip up toward the light and encourage it to gain strength.
After the first round of pruning, some wire was added to move a few wayward branches into position.
I stopped here and brushed it with Lime Sulfur to lighten and even out the tones:
Often when I get to this point, I find it helpful to take a photo of the tree and work on the areas that jump out as needing attention. What do you see in the shot below:
Here are the areas that jumped out to me:
And here is the shot after those areas were addressed:
A few steps closer to a showable tree.
Here is a 10-year old throwback shot to 2008:
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all. Thanks for reading along this year. More to come in 2019!