Fall work on an Ume

Last winter I wired this Ume, which was a feat. The post is here:


This year, I didn’t get a chance to repot the tree, and along with the stress of wiring, it didn’t have a great year. Here is a shot in the growing season, weak left side, decent right side, not much interior growth.

In October I unwired the tree. Best to do this before the flower buds start to swell, as they’re easily knocked off. Before:

After, the branches held reasonably well.

And a week later, I removed the yellowing leaves, and the branching isn’t bad for an Ume:

A few branches trimmed, and a couple wired, and it’s ready for winter…and hopefully a good flower showing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s