Skip to content
Advertisements

Posts from the ‘Trident Maple’ Category

Sumo shohin trident maple

Here’s one I’ve been working on for about 12 years, maybe longer. It has a fat little base, and wagon-wheel nebari, and is in serious need of refinement.

Last year, I dug it up and potted it for the first time in 6-7 years. It has a bad chop scar on the back that is slow to close, and was impossible to work on while in the ground.

I defoliated it to get a look at the branch development:

IMG_6535

IMG_6543
And to give the grafted branch a little sunshine. While it was leafless, I scraped the cambium around the chop and suspected it might just be rotting under that cut paste. Digging a little with a gouge confirmed that suspicion:

IMG_6544
So I removed what I could, and then used a Foredom rotary tool to remove as much rotted, soft wood as possible, and got it back to hard wood:

IMG_6590
Then, I treated the inside with PC Petrifier, a water-based wood preservative.

IMG_6591

IMG_6592
Allowed it to soak in and dry overnight, then over the course of a few days, filled the hole with interior/exterior wood filler.

IMG_6631

IMG_6633
A week later I had a few minutes to smooth out the edges of the wood filler, and clean up some of the rough bark:

IMG_6673

IMG_6678

IMG_6676
Nice taper:

IMG_6677
And one more week later, I was able to wire the grafted branch to move it to the right and add a little wiggle.

IMG_6792
Now, three weeks later in mid-August, the branch is setting, and I’ve been reducing the back of the grafted shoot:

IMG_6854
I also stripped the lower leaves from the sacrifice branch to keep the sun shining on the final tree:

IMG_6853
Soon enough it will be down to the final tree itself:

IMG_6855
The graft was separated, unwired, and shortened, and pruned back in late August. Here is where I’m leaving it for the remainder of the growing season:

IMG_6996

IMG_6995
Next spring, it will be repotted and the nebari will be worked a bit more.

Advertisements

ROR trident update

The true charm of this tree will ultimately be the nebari exiting the stone and crawling across the soil level. All the groundwork is set for this to present nicely in a few years, but for now, here is a sneak preview, but all developments happen best underground, so it’s buried deep for now:

DSCF7559
The roots clinging to the rock were a bit thin. So in July 2015, I packed them with sphagnum moss, wrapped them in plastic, and hoped that covering them would hasten the thickening.

IMG_4724

IMG_4725

IMG_4726

IMG_4727

Fall color was nice:

IMG_6225
And after leaf fall, it was in need of some pruning back:

IMG_6245

IMG_6248

The second trunk section bothered me; too straight, and lacking taper, so I made the decision to shorten the trunk again in February 2016:

IMG_4717

IMG_4718

IMG_4723

IMG_5089

IMG_5382

IMG_5486

IMG_5494

IMG_5557

IMG_5572
Still clinging left, but trying to move right. A little work in May to check progress of the roots, and to handle some branch selection.

IMG_5582

IMG_5583
Some notable thickening and better adherence to the rock. Also, a pretty deep cut on a few of the roots. They should heal in time, I really don’t want scars here!

IMG_5584
Cut paste applied over the wire scars:

IMG_5585
I’ve deliberately kept lots of small shoots, close to the trunk, so it will look congested for a time, until I’ve finalized all the primary branches and trunk line. I was able to do some removal, but kept a few spares, and a few sacrifice branches.

IMG_5586
Directionally, I finally decided I want the tree to lean left, so, using the trunk chop from February to add that direction, and a sacrifice branch to add the 3rd section of trunk:

IMG_5587
Something like this…

IMG_6353
There, that’s better…

IMG_6409
We’ll see how it goes when winter gets here…

Fat Little Trident Maple 2

Here is the previous post on this one…and here is the update!
It was dug in March and root pruned:

DSCF7594

DSCF7595

DSCF7596

DSCF7602

Then some tidying up…
Reopening the callus to keep the cambium moving. Maybe this cut will close in my lifetime…?

DSCF7676

This little hole in the back had a softer center; and a chopstick routed it out quickly…down into the soil under the trunk. I used some epoxy putty to fill the hole, and will scuff the bark to expose cambium and get it to crawl across the putty.

DSCF7677

DSCF7679
A little selection pruning, then waiting until the first shoots begin to lignify!

DSCF7680
Growing out in Spring:

IMG_3798

IMG_3800
It was pinched back in May and then allowed to grow on.
June. Time to defoliate and put a little movement in primary branches:

IMG_4213

IMG_4219
Emmett approves (of the fertilizer cakes, more likely):

IMG_4221
The shortened sacrifice leader will be removed when new growth resumes below it.

2 weeks later:

IMG_4537
Quick haircut to keep the first set of internodes nice and short:

IMG_4538

2 more weeks (and one move) later, and the wires were biting in, so they were removed; before and after a light pruning:

IMG_4857

IMG_4860